This month’s Chef Profile is from Chef Stefania Forte from ‘Made in Sud’ the latest Italian restaurant to open in the ‘Old Market’ area. ‘Made in Sud’ offers traditional Neapolitan and Mediterranean cuisine in a fresh and homely trattoria environment situated on the main road just outside the downtown market area.
Presented by : Chef Stefania Forte – Made in Sud Restaurant
We met Chef Stefania Forte in her restaurant; she explained that she only uses genuine ingredients, partially imported from Italy andfresh producefrom the local market.Like many Italian Chef’s she learnt to cook by helping her mother and learnt all the tricks and secrets directly from home.
Stefania has cooked for friends all her life and with their encouragement she decided to share her delicious dishes with the public and opened “Made in Sud”. She explains that Neapolitan cuisine was influenced by Arab, Norman, Spanish and French cultures since all ruled Naples at some point in time. The influence of these mixed cultures is a unique half-sophisticated, half-folk cuisine. Many Neapolitan recipes are elaborate, take time to prepare and use seasonal produce.
When we asked for one of her recipes, she chose one from her mother’s cookbook, the famous Parmigiana di Melanzane.
INGREDIENTS (FOR 4 PERSONS) :
2 ROUND EGGPLANTS FLOUR
3 TBSP GRATED PARMIGGIANO
2 MOZZARELLA DI BUFFALA
FOR THE TOMATO SAUCE:
1 KG TOMATOES
1 CLOVE OF GARLIC
– Beat the eggs with Salt, Pepper and the Parmesan Cheese.
– Dip the slices in the flour and then the egg mixture.
– Fry them on both sides and put them to one side.
– Prepare the TomatoSauce : fry the peeled whole garlic clove in the olive oil for a couple of minutes over a medium heat until the flavor is infused and then remove the clove.
– Put the peeled and smashed tomatoes in the garlic flavored oil, add the basil and then allow the mixture to simmer.
– Cut the Mozzarella Cheese to 1 cm slices,
– Take a deep oven tray and layer the prepared ingredients; starting with the Tomato Sauce, then the eggplant slices, then the grated Parmesan Cheese, the Mozzarella slices and then whole basil leafs, repeat until the tray is full ( at least 3 layers) and finish with the eggplant, mozzarella and basil leaves in a decorative form.
– Put the tray in the oven for 20 min. on 180 C.
– Serve by cutting into portions.